Re: How to create a database trigger

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 20:00:07 +0800

Inna wrote:

> Hello everyone.
> Started creating database triggers and realized that know nothing about
> it. Please help me in this problem. I have two tables dept and emp.
> Have primary key ID in emp table and empid in dept, but I can not make
> it foreign. So I need a trigger <Before delete> on table emp, which
> going to delete record in dept table. And I don't know how to do that,
> because my books are not so good, there is no syntax there.
> Thank you in advance.
> --
> Inna.Junior programmer.
>
> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Check out the ON DELETE CASCADE option when defining a constraint. Since you're new, jump to technet.oracle.com and register (its free). Then you can have a wander through the documentation.

HTH
Connor

Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk (mirrored at
http://www.oradba.freeserve.co.uk)

"Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"