URGENT : import issues with 8.0.6 instance

From: Eric Givler <egivler_at_flash.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2001 00:57:31 GMT

I loaded a Dell Server (2300) with Oracle 8.0.6 and didn't receive any errors. I manually built the database via my own build_db.sql and buildall.sql after creating the instance from the command line. When I attempted to perform a user import of one schema of data from a Full export file created with from a 7.3.3 Nt instance, the import took almost 8 hours to complete. The log file was chock full of errors (primary key issues) and other problems. It was almost 32MB in size.

Question1: Any ideas why this would be happening?

The tables don't have any problems (that I know of) on the production instance, but it looks like it is having a PK issue. I'd post the actual errors, but I'm not at my desk right now.

ALSO, The export file (from the 7.3.3) is a FULL export.

Question 2: SO, if I try to import the whole export file, would it erroneously try to manipulate the system tablespace or other stuff?

I really only want to get:

a) the users from production
b) any roles from production and who they are granted to administratively
c) the application owner DBA stuff from 2 schema owners

Question 3: Is there something else I might be missing in this list, or am I attacking this the wrong way?

Question 4: When I do the import at the top, should I try importing tables only first (from the app owner), then importing the constraints and indexes?

Question 5: Is there a faster means of importing this?

Thanks for any help. I'd like to get our production instance to 8.0.6 because 7.3.3 was recently desupported. I've done an install twice now and can't seem to get a workable solution with a quick turnaround on the import of the data. I have two servers to upgrade and I've got a 40+ step process to remove all the oracle software (7.3.3 stuff) and work from an export file to recreate the database via scripts, etc.

Question 6: If I provide details (or did I give enough), is this migration strategy sound?

THANKS AGAIN! (and again) Received on Fri Jan 05 2001 - 18:57:31 CST