Re: Why my listener does not work?

From: R. Scott Hunter <robertscothunter_at_aol.comnospam>
Date: 02 Jan 2001 14:29:19 GMT

Howdy, just to throw my two cents work in, the equivalent of: $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin
for NT or Windows should normally have at least a

SQLNET.ORA
which tells SQLNET where to look for resolving service names, among other interesting things

TNSNAMES.ORA
which SQLNET.ORA tells an Oracle client request to look at (as opposed to Oracle Names and so forth)

Alex is quite right about TNSNAMES.

Additionally, though I havent worked with the little Oracle versions, you also probably need

LISTENER.ORA
which defines the service names and protocols to get to the services on the server side of the Oracle environment. Since you said your listener came up okay that probably isn't the problem.

This may be irrelevant in your environment but there are some entries in initSID.ora relating to all this, but if you are on the same machine (ie, DBMS engine as well as client software reside on the same box) I don't think that's the problem.

FINALLY, make sure your data sources are correctly defined in the ODBC control panel; that's caused more problems for me over the years than I can count.

Hope some of this helps!

R. Scott Hunter
Please respond to: rshunter_at_navy.org
GO NAVY!