Re: Becoming an Oracle DBA?

From: Michael A. <banana_boat_x_at_x_1stconnect.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 10:50:44 -0500

I also heard that if one wants
> a life they shouldn't consider this as a career choice. But I also know
 that
> if you want the money that DBAs are paid you have to make sacrifices

Karen,

Be aware that there is more to database work than the DBA function. Many organizations these days have database analysts, designers, and modelers as well. These folks typically work in the applications group, rather than tech services (where the DBA usually lives). Before investing time and money, you probably need to decide which kind of database work you prefer. Although there is overlap, one type is largely "physical", the other mostly "logical":

Are you interested in installing/upgrading database software, monitoring/tuning performance, setting up security, providing for backups, defragmenting tablespaces, doing capacity planning? This is the sort of stuff DBA's deal with every day --they're essentially the "guardian" of the organization's informational assets. If you're a DBA, you'll be paid well (usually!), but you'll be on call with a pager attached to your side. You'll need unflappable nerves of steel and be willing to work long, hard hours without praise. If you do your job well, nobody will even know who you are or what you do. If you slip up in the least, everybody will know you instantly, and they won't be smiling. If you slip up big time, you'll probably get fired.

Perhaps you're more interested in the actual application of the database's power for the organization's needs. When a new application is required, the designer works closely with management, users, and developers -- coming up with an effective, efficient, and perhaps elegant layout for tables and other objects that will be needed. Here, you really have to understand the business. The pay can be rewarding, but usually not as high as a DBA (unless you know Java <g>). You mostly get to work regular business hours and have a life. If your designs are good, people will rave about you, although not while you or your boss is within earshot, of course. If your designs are poor, people will sneer at you and sometimes drag keys across the doors of your car.

Of course, there are some people who enjoy a combination of both the DBA's responsibilities and the designer's work. In this case, you might seek out opportunities in smaller organizations where the jobs aren't as rigidly defined. Smaller firms often can't justify a full-time DBA, so the responsibilities of the DBA are shared among a group of individuals. The pay won't be as high, but you can wear many hats and get plenty of hands-on experience -- great for just starting out.

HTH, Mike Received on Sun Dec 31 2000 - 09:50:44 CST