Re: net8 config: db_name/service_names conflict?

From: <buckeye714_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 18:52:55 GMT

What name is the listener expecting? Look in the listener.ora file. This is the name you should use in the tnsnames.ora file on the client. This should work if your listener.ora file is correctly configured. If this doesn't help, please post the contents of listener.ora from the server, tnsnames.ora from the client and any error messages you receive.

HTH,
Patrick

In article <92b78b$3g9$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   gpavlov_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> I am struggling with an inherited Oracle 8.1.5 (UNIX/Solaris) install
> which has the following strange setup: In initMYINSTANCE.ora the
 db_name
> and the service_names parameters are the same, looking something like
> this:
>
> db_name = NAMESTRING
> instance_name = MYINSTANCE
> service_names = NAMESTRING
>
> I can connect to the instance locally without trouble. There is also a
> listener running, but I cannot figure out how to configure the client
 on
> a remote machine to connect to this. I have tried seemingly all
> permutations of the NAMESTRING and the MYINSTANCE strings in the
 Service
> Identification/Service Name of the Net8 assistant (or directly in the
> tnsnames.ora file).
>
> Questions for the experts: is it OK to have db_name = service_names?
 In
> the setup as described what should one enter to configure a client?
>
> George
>
> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Sent via Deja.com