net8 config: db_name/service_names conflict?

From: <gpavlov_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 22:48:44 GMT

I am struggling with an inherited Oracle 8.1.5 (UNIX/Solaris) install which has the following strange setup: In initMYINSTANCE.ora the db_name and the service_names parameters are the same, looking something like this:

db_name = NAMESTRING
instance_name = MYINSTANCE
service_names = NAMESTRING

I can connect to the instance locally without trouble. There is also a listener running, but I cannot figure out how to configure the client on a remote machine to connect to this. I have tried seemingly all permutations of the NAMESTRING and the MYINSTANCE strings in the Service Identification/Service Name of the Net8 assistant (or directly in the tnsnames.ora file).

Questions for the experts: is it OK to have db_name = service_names? In the setup as described what should one enter to configure a client?

George

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Tue Dec 26 2000 - 16:48:44 CST