Re: db_block_buffer

From: <steveee_ca_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2000 18:46:40 GMT

Hi

It's true that simply doubling your buffer cache may not solve hit ratio problems, but by the same token it could. You're aware that you can simulate the impact on the hit ratio of increasing buffers without actually doing it.
If they're talking about giving you more resources (vs. reallocating existing) I wouldn't scream too much :)

Best wishes for the holidays,

Steve

In article <3A46351A.4A4CADB3_at_yahoo.com>,   bootie <bootie_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> Oracle 8.0.5 Solaris 2.6
> I"ve recently been told (by a database engineer and upper management)
> to increase our db's db_block_buffers from 15000 to 30000!
> I've tried kicking and screaming, tried to explain that you just don't
> randomly start doubling such parameters because the hit ratio is 75%.
> They seem to think it's going to solve all performance problems, but I
> know deep down
> it's just going to cause more issues.
>
> Just wanting to rant.
>
> TIA