Re: Performance problems with Oracle EE 8iR2 on 64 Bit Solaris

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 11:50:19 -0000

Hi

Some things I'd look at (non-solaris related)

"Alexander Penev" <peneva_at_wien.spardat.at> wrote in message news:91kl70$gu2$1_at_leech.it-austria.net...
> open_cursors = 100

try 500

> max_enabled_roles = 30
> db_block_size = 16384
> db_block_buffers = 10240

These two together give 160Mb. You have a 4G ram try upping db_block_buffers to say 100000 - probably overkill but hey more ram never hurt anyone

> shared_pool_size = 160000000

well actually maybe it does<G> Do you really need a shared pool of 160Mb (same size as buffer cache. That's a hell of a lot of cached sql) If the application is mostly issuing queries with literals in them then this is 160mb of data to search through before NOT finding a match when parsing. Have a think about the appropriateness of this setting.

> db_file_multiblock_read_count=32
> db_writer_processes = 3

I don't believe there is any point in setting this to more than two, since you only have a dual processor box. If three processes are being created won't two of them contend with each other? You should also look at parellelising(sp?) log writer as well.

> large_pool_size = 614400
> java_pool_size = 0

> log_checkpoint_interval = 10000
> log_checkpoint_timeout = 1800
> processes = 50
> sort_area_size = 10485760
> sort_area_retained_size = 1048576
> log_buffer = 491520

seems a little large to me.

> max_dump_file_size = 10000 # limit trace file size to 5M each
> timed_statistics = true # if you want timed statistics
> compatible = "8.0.5"

Also have a look at Steve Adams site www.ixora.com regarding your block size and db_multiblock_read_count parameters, it may be that 16k is an inappropriate block size.

regards

--