Re: Oracle 8i 8.1.7 on Solaris 8

From: Michael Olcott <molcott642_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 18:31:50 GMT

In article <91mhp2$evo$1_at_violet.singnet.com.sg>,   "Lee" <hengchee.lee_at_aretae.com> wrote:
> Yep, I know that there is a formula mentioned in the installation
 guide but
> even though I set my value for process, semmsl and semmns base on the
> formula I still get database creation error, only until I reduce the
 process
> setting then the thing work.
> Well, I might get my understanding wrong on the formula...
> I also didn't patch anything for my Solaris 8
>
> regards
> Lee
>
> Brian McKerr <bmckerr_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > You should always use the little formula for calculating the kernel
> > parameters. I did on 2 x Netra T1 with 8.1.7/Solaris 8 and had no
 problems
> > whatsoever.
> >
> > Interestingly enough, i did *not* patch anything. The Install guide
 never
> > mentioned any patches for Solaris 8.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >

> > Brian.

The formula is not going to give you much wiggle room but will generally work. Things the formula does not account for is anything else on your box which may require the same memory allocations. Since the values you set based on your calculations did not work, try increasing them by 50% or 100%. Chances are good that will work. Starting from a position that works, you can scale them back incrementally to a more acceptable value. The downside to getting the values to large really don't effect the system a great deal until you start getting into the ridiculous range. On systems that are tight on RAM to begin with, you're going to want to be more careful about what you ultimately end up with.

Does not sound like you've customized the box much, and so this point is probably not relevant in your environment, but be aware that Oracle 8i requires the SUNWarc package. You can verify it's existence with 'pkginfo SUNWarc'. If that returns some info about the package you're good to go. If not, someone removed it and you need to add it back in.

--
Consultant: UNIX/NT Admin/Programmer Perl/C/C++
molcott642_at_earthlink.net

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/