Re: Benchmarks - Java vs PL/SQL

From: <dellera_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 14:53:34 GMT

> One of my absolute favorite uses of PL/SQL is in to develop web apps
 on
> top of the database using the PL/SQL toolkit with Oracle Application
> Server. It's fast and the code is elegant and maintainable. Sure you
> could do the same thing with the Java cartridge, but why on earth
 would
> you want to (aside from the usual Java fashion statement)???

Because there are a lot of programmers that know Java and only a few that are proficient in PL/SQL, so it's easier for companies to find the former rather than the latter. Skills shortage being so critical for the IT industry as it is, Oracle doesn't want to sell less licenses than possible because of the lack of technicians that are able to leverage the power of its server.

How many books on Java there are ? _thousands_. How many book on PL/SQL ? _tens_ (or ten, perhaps ;-))

Tell a recent graduate that s/he will work in Java ("cool!"). Tell s/he will program in PL/SQL ("what?").

So, even if I agree that PL/SQL is superior to Java for performance, and that object-orientation is not necessary for stored procedures (which rarely are more than 200 lines long), I understand the reason behind Oracle move towards Java...

If there were more books like the excellent Feuerstein's "Oracle PL/SQL programming", probably PL/SQL would't be regarded as an ugly and unfashionable language. But, that's the situation.

Kind Regards
alberto

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Sat Dec 16 2000 - 08:53:34 CST