Re: Benchmarks - Java vs PL/SQL

From: Ezr Vinh <d_a_p_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 23:56:26 GMT

Interesting, I'd love to see more. It wouldn't suprise me at all to see PL/SQL code blow java out of the water. How can anything that is interpreted at runtime possibly compete with PL/SQL p-code that's already parsed and compiled into the database?

One of my absolute favorite uses of PL/SQL is in to develop web apps on top of the database using the PL/SQL toolkit with Oracle Application Server. It's fast and the code is elegant and maintainable. Sure you could do the same thing with the Java cartridge, but why on earth would you want to (aside from the usual Java fashion statement)???

In article <918rd5$bve$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   jdarrah_co_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> A friend of mine did just such a benchmark. I don't have a public
 site.
> but if anyone does, I'd be happy to post the results and code. The
> short of it is java and pl/sql perform equally well when SQL is not
> involved but when the code issued a "select 'X' from dual", pl/sql
> outperformed java by as much as 50X. this was tested on NT 816 linux
> 816 and solaris 817 and pl/sql easily outperformed java stored procs
 in
> all of these environments. That being said, I would love for someone
> with more experience using java stored procs to look at this test.
>
> In article <3A371221.2B95B228_at_intersystemsww.com>,
> Avi Abrami <aabrami_at_intersystemsww.com> wrote:
> > I am looking for some performance
> > measurements/comparisons for stored
> > procedures in PL/SQL versus stored
> > procedures in Java.