Re: Best way to store Excel spreadsheets in Oracle?

From: James Lorenzen -XIOtech Corporation <jlorenzen_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 14:26:05 GMT

The iFS (Internet File System) would also work to do this and it has many interfaces, FTP, mail, Windows and some others. I looked a tthe doc andit does look good for this. An added benefit would by context searching with the intermedia options installed.

HTH
  James

In article <3A373583.7634002A_at_ntsource.com>,   Frank Hubeny <fhubeny_at_ntsource.com> wrote:
> I considered a similar problem once for images. Unless you have a
 very large
> number of spreadsheets, I would suggest storing only the url in the
 database
> and leaving the spreadsheet in the file system. This would allow
 you to
> conveniently use your normal methods to update the file.
>
> As I understand the argument for putting such files in the database,
 this would
> allow you to maintain transactional control over changes in the file
 and perhaps
> even do some searching through these files. For example, if you
 wanted to
> delete the file, both the reference to the url and the file itself
 could be
> removed in a single transaction. Also backing up the database would
 backup the
> file. However, I don't think these benefits outweigh the ease of
 updating the
> spreadsheet if it remained as a file in the file system.
>
> Frank Hubeny
>
> Van Messner wrote:
>
> > What do you all suggest as the most effective way to do this?
 Store a
> > pointer to the document? Store the document? As what - a blob?
 And how is
> > the document reconstituted with all of its formatting intact after
 you get
> > in out of the database? They want to have users hit the database
 over the
> > web and be able to see the spreadsheets they have permissions on.
> >
> > Van

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Wed Dec 13 2000 - 08:26:05 CST