Re: Best way to store Excel spreadsheets in Oracle?

From: Frank Hubeny <fhubeny_at_ntsource.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 02:38:28 -0600

I considered a similar problem once for images. Unless you have a very large number of spreadsheets, I would suggest storing only the url in the database and leaving the spreadsheet in the file system. This would allow you to conveniently use your normal methods to update the file.

As I understand the argument for putting such files in the database, this would allow you to maintain transactional control over changes in the file and perhaps even do some searching through these files. For example, if you wanted to delete the file, both the reference to the url and the file itself could be removed in a single transaction. Also backing up the database would backup the file. However, I don't think these benefits outweigh the ease of updating the spreadsheet if it remained as a file in the file system.

Frank Hubeny