Oracle, loadjava and resolve

From: <jjustice_at_sensus-communis.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 02:24:29 GMT

     My company has a fairly large codebase, portions of which are to be deployed in various environments -- you know, "write once, run anywhere"? Well, the fact that Oracle forces ALL references to be resolved, not just those actually called at runtime, makes it very hard to deploy some of our code to the 'JServer' or whatever they're calling it now.

     For example, I have some code which, when it is run in a microsoft jvm (e.g. in IE), needs to assert some permissions from ms.security.*. I suppose I could try deploying all the ms.security.* classes _and all their dependencies_ in JServer, but what I did was create subclasses that make these security calls, and put the subclasses in a package outside of our normal distribution. That way, I can deploy the 'normal' code everywhere but IE, and I deploy the subclasses to IE.

     However, this scheme gets fairly complicated pretty fast. I fear I'm either going to wind up deploying all the Java code ever written into JServer, or I'm going to have to write special classes and code _which can't even refer to each other_ for deployment to JServer.

     Any idea why Oracle forces you do resolve code you're never going to run inside the database? This is one of the nice features of Java that they've basically taken away from us -- dynamic class loading. If you don't call the code, you never load the class -- Oracle insists on loading and resolving all the references in that class anyway.

    Does anyone have any clever approaches or workarounds for this that they would like to share? Please?

    Thanks!

John Emmer

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Dec 11 2000 - 20:24:29 CST