Re: Oracle shutdown and startup

From: David Fitzjarrell <oratune_at_aol.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2000 17:28:32 GMT

In our last gripping episode benjose_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> Hello! Folks,
>
> * What would be the right way to shutdown and startup an Oracle DB in
> clustered environment with Failsafe handling the whole show...(Should
> do it from Failsafe it self or can I get to the svrmgrl utility and do
> the same. But at that instant FS does the failover...)
>
> * What if the archival mode is turned on and after a while I wanted
> turn it off...
>
> Expecting a faster response...
>
> Warmth
> Ben
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

It would be best to let FailSafe shutdown the database; this way you would not need to shut down FailSafe or any of the nodes accessing the instance to prevent failover.

If you have archivelog mode running and you wish to disable it you would need to edit the init<SID>.ora file then shutdown and restart the instance. The "archive_log = TRUE" line would need to be commented, by prepending it with a "#". If the command looks like this in the file:

archive_log = TRUE

it would look like this to disable it:

#archive_log = TRUE

Again you should use FailSafe to shutdown and restart the instance.

--
David Fitzjarrell
Oracle Certified DBA