Re: temp.dbf and no dba

From: GC <assistant_madman_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 22:37:44 GMT

Tim Downs wrote:

> Help, are dba has left and are temp.dbf file was set to auto extend.
> Some one wrote a crystal report wrong and are temp.dbf grew to 2gig
> (filled up our volume). I used an oracle tool called DBArtisan to turn
> auto extend off but I need want to reduce the temp.dbf to 500 meg.
> DBArtisan says that there is 1 meg worth of data in the temp.dbf. It
> also appears that I can use DBArtisan to reduce the file size. Can I do
> this anytime or do I have to make sure all users are off, or do I have
> to drop the table and recreate it?

It would be easier for you if you shut the box down and brought it back up in restricted mode - that way you would ensure nobody is using the temp tablespace and the extents have been deallocated. You can then resize the datafile.
If the tablespace isn't specifically made as temporary (but rather a permanent tablespace housing temporary segments), you may have permanent objects in the tablespace. If this is the case, you can only resize the datafile to the high water mark of the data in the tablespace. You may then have to drop and recreate the tablespace if the datafile does not shrink to the desired level (assuming you don't want to keep the permanent segments).

Hope this helps,
GC Received on Tue Nov 28 2000 - 16:37:44 CST