Re: temp.dbf and no dba

From: David Fitzjarrell <oratune_at_aol.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 23:28:56 GMT

In our last gripping episode Tim Downs <tim.downs_at_thedacare.org> wrote:
> I forgot to mention that we are on hpux 10.20 oracle 7.3.3.
>
> Tim Downs wrote:
>
> > Help, are dba has left and are temp.dbf file was set to auto extend.
> > Some one wrote a crystal report wrong and are temp.dbf grew to 2gig
> > (filled up our volume). I used an oracle tool called DBArtisan to
 turn
> > auto extend off but I need want to reduce the temp.dbf to 500 meg.
> > DBArtisan says that there is 1 meg worth of data in the temp.dbf. It
> > also appears that I can use DBArtisan to reduce the file size. Can
 I do
> > this anytime or do I have to make sure all users are off, or do I
 have
> > to drop the table and recreate it?
> >
> > tia
> >
> > Tim Downs
> > tim.downs_at_thedacare.org

With Oracle 7.3.3 I doubt that you can resize the datafile on the fly, but, if DBArtisan will let you, give it a try. If this doesn't work you will need to get the users out of the database, then, through Server Manager, drop the tablespace, remove the temp.dbf file (this will need to be done from the shell prompt) and re-create the tablespace with the proper file size:

$ svrmgrl
SVRMGR> connect internal

Connected.

SVRMGR> drop tablespace temp including contents;

Statement processed.

SVRMGR> exit

$ rm temp.dbf <--- you will need the path as well $ svrmgrl

SVRMGR> connect internal

Connected.

SVRMGR> create tablespace temp

     2 datafile '....../temp.dbf' size 500M;