Re: ODBC problem

From: Andy Hardy <aph_at_ahardy.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 20:23:29 +0000

In article <EkgTLjAvLFF6EwLM_at_ahardy.demon.co.uk>, Andy Hardy <aph_at_ahardy.demon.co.uk> writes
>In article <8uv1qd$v19$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>, jocave_at_my-deja.com writes
>>> I originally made the mistake of thinking that 'Data Source Name'
 sounds
>>> like a chance to have a free text description of the thing (and the
 layout
>>> of the window kind of suggested it wasn't as important as the Service
 Name,
>>> too) -but it always fails for me unless the two match.
>>>
>>> Not terribly scientific, but it works for me!
>>
>>I have numerous DSN's that are different than their service names and
>>have never seen this problem. Is it possible that you're mixing up
>>DSN's and Service Names in your connect strings?
>
>Funnily enough, I'd been experiencing Oracle ODBC problems (TNS service
>name could not be resolved) and Oracles response was to ensure that the
>DSN was the same name as the service name - and it worked!
>
>Andy

I've had in confirmed by the Oracle Migration Workbench team that it a bug in *their* application that currently requires the DSN and the service name to be the same.

So... it looks like it works differently according to who coded the application!

Andy

--
Andy Hardy. PGP ID: 0xA62A4849