Re: ODBC problem

From: gun <kimpin_at_pl.jaring.my>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 00:13:25 +0800

Thanx Andy for replying my question..Can you please check for me the following entry in tnsnames.ora

Thanks in Advance...

TCPEXAMPLE =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = localhost)(PORT = 1521))     )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SERVICE_NAME = orcl.gun2000)
    )
  )

I got this work in the sqlplus. But just wonder why it couldn't work in the ODBC program.

Below is the scenario.
I had two hard disk. One is 15G quantum lm and another 4.3G western digital. I am using the 15G quantum as the main disk to run the OS. Because of the motherboard limitation(TX Pro II), the motherboard only can detect it as a 8G hard disk. I went to download a program called Quantum Manager so that the hard disk could be fully utilize. I had 4 partition on the 15G hard disk. The C: is for Win98, D: is for the 4G hard disk(win 95), E: for backup, F for backup and G: is for Win 2000.

I had Oracle 8.0.6 installed in the 4G drive. When i bought the new hard disk(15G), I never format the old drive. I had my win2000 running in the G:. Then I installed the Oracle 8.1.6 in the G:, which is in Win2000 OS, after go through the setup, I configured the net8 listener and service name. Then I try to check the database using sql plus, it works. Then I configured the ODBC, it could work.

I had been debugging this problem for few weeks. I really hope that someone could help me on this.

Could u tell me what name should i use for the data source, service name? Is my tnsnames.ora entry correct? Should I include the SID inside the file?

Kindly regards,
gun

> In article <EkgTLjAvLFF6EwLM_at_ahardy.demon.co.uk>, Andy Hardy
> <aph_at_ahardy.demon.co.uk> writes
> >In article <8uv1qd$v19$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>, jocave_at_my-deja.com writes
 Name,