Re: Oracle questions

From: David Fitzjarrell <oratune_at_aol.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 19:51:43 GMT

In our last gripping episode ashish25_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> Hi David,
> I am not an access developer but an Oracle DBA with around 5 years
> of experience.Nowdays I am noticing the quality of support has really
> gone bad.Oracle support wasn't able to pinpoint any resolution to
> around any problems I encountered in last 5 months or so.First my
> platform was HP 10.2 with Oracle 8.0.5 and now LINUX with Oracle
 8i.Are
> you feeling the same way??
> I find Deja to be much better at problem resolution with
> you,Howard,Jonathan,Steve,Sybrand in the lead.I really respect you
 guys
> for taking so much pains.
> Thanks,
> Ashish
> In article <8v10tt$h4g$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> David Fitzjarrell <oratune_at_aol.com> wrote:
> > In our last gripping episode "Mystery" <u> wrote:
> > > Ok
> > >
> > > If Oracle is so great why?
> > >
> > > Is it so expensive
> > > Is it not SQL92
> > > Does the ridiculous documentation come in useless HTML format
> > > Are the manuals so bad
> > > Are the tools so bad they crash on every platform (not a good sign
 for a
> > > software product)
> > > Is it just so dam arrogant?
> > >
> > > Answers on a post card to Mr Big Salary, Oracle House.
> > >

> > Apparently an Access developer...
> >
> > --
> > David Fitzjarrell
> > Oracle Certified DBA
> >
> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.
> >

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

It may be that Oracle Support is seriously lagging Oracle Development (a sad situation -- one would think that the Support personnel would be trained, in advance, on the newest database features and functionality and would be aware of any 'bugs' and 'functionality detours' and their resolution). It may also be a serious lack of qualified personnel at the Oracle Support Desk (an even more deplorable situation).

As I have not spoken with Oracle support in quite some time I cannot speak with first-hand knowledge of the situation. If the picture is, indeed, as bad as you paint it I can understand your frustration.

I am wrong sometimes, right sometimes and somewhere between versions at other times (having been chastised for incomplete answers due to version-specific features and functionality) but I do try to help as best I can. I have been in the trenches for 13 years, have earned my OCP, and I consider a day wasted when there is nothing new to learn (of course, I have yet to experience a wasted day!).

I thank you for your encouragement and your praise. I only hope I can continue to keep your trust and faith.