ODBC Heap Error with Win2K and Oracle 8.1.6

From: Christian Rodemeyer <c.rodemeyer_at_dr-staedtler.de>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 13:24:13 +0100

Hi,

we encounter terrible errors when using Oracle 8.1.6 with Win2K SP1. We have the latest patches and the Oracle ODBC Driver 8.1.6.2 installed.

Our application is an service with multiple connections. Connections will be opened and closed, sometimes there may be more than one connection aktive. After closing and opening an connection, the following error occurs in the VC6.0 debug output:
HEAP[T2Embedded.exe]: HEAP: Free Heap block 1de9b28 modified at 1dea544 after it was freed
The error comes from another thread, possibly the oracle driver thread. After that, connections work totally instable and unpredictable odbc errors will be generated. You can simulate the error with the following trivial program:

for (;;)
{
SQLAllocConnect(CODBC_Environment, &m_hdbc); SQLConnect(m_hdbc, ...);
SQLDisconnect(m_hdbc);
SQLFreeConnect(m_hdbc);
Sleep(1000);
}

The stack trace looks like this:

NTDLL! 77f9eea9() <--- The error occurs here
NTDLL! 77fcd753()
NTDLL! 77f89393()
NTDLL! 77fb4789()
NTDLL! 77fa6567()
NTDLL! 77fcabc7()

MSVCRT! 7800113d()
ORAN8! 60b76831()<-- but this is the fucking bullshit oracle driver
ORAN8! 60b4107d()
ORAN8! 60b423a7()
ORAN8! 60b3eb74()
ORAN8! 60b11f26()
ORACLIENT8! 604b8626()
ORACLIENT8! 6047fd21()

ORACLIENT8! 604249b3()
ORACLIENT8! 60401364()
OCI! 10005993()
SQORA32! 04c26a3e()

The same error can be reproduced with the ms oracle odbc drive from mdac 2.5, only the stack trace is a bit longer. Oracle knows this bug since april if you look at their support page. (support.oracle.com). The hint to use Win98 as a client since we have a service which must run under Win2K. The same app runs fine with MS SQL Server, but some customers have the silly need to give their money for some monstrous oracle server which make only trouble.

Does anyone know a workaround? I can't believe, that we are the only one who use odbc to access oracle.

A very depressed

  Christian Received on Wed Nov 15 2000 - 06:24:13 CST