Re: ODBC problem

From: gun <kimpin_at_pl.jaring.my>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 02:47:40 +0800

ya...i try to use the same name for the data source and the net service name, but it still couldn't work? below is my tnsnames.ora file..i am using win2k with oracle enterprise edition 8.1.6

############################

# TNSNAMES.ORA Network Configuration File: g:\Oracle\Ora81\network\admin\tnsnames.ora # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

ORGINAL =
  (DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =

      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = localhost)(PORT = 1521))     )
(CONNECT_DATA =

      (SERVICE_NAME = orcl.gun2000)
    )
  )

ORCL.GUN2000 =
  (DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =

      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = gun2000)(PORT = 1521))     )
(CONNECT_DATA =

      (SERVICE_NAME = orcl.gun2000)
    )
  )

TCPEXAMPLE =
  (DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =

      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = localhost)(PORT = 1521))     )
(CONNECT_DATA =

      (SERVICE_NAME = orcl.gun2000)
    )
  )

"A connection could not be made using the file data source parameters entered. Save non-verified file DSN?"

This is the error message i receive when i was configure the ODBC driver provided by oracle ODBC driver under the file DSN. Then I choose yes. I opened the Oracle ODBC Test, I refer the connection is to the particular file i was created(tcpexample.dsn). Then this message poped up,
"SQLSTATE:08004
Native Error Code:12154
Driver Message:[Oracle][ODBC][Ora]ORA-12154:TNS:could not resolve service name.

Need Any suggestions to avoid error?"

Is this file "ORANT\ORAINST\NT.RGS" important? I found this filename from the advanced debug help, and i realize my windows 2000 doesn't have this file. I only have this file"Oracle 816 Production.rgs" which is 0 bytes, contains nothing.

I get stuck at here. What should i do?