Re: block corruption in system tablespace

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 21:17:05 -0000

ORA-00704 is an error in bootstrap, which probably means that the corrupt blocks are in the CACHE segment. There is no LEGAL way around this problem.

HOWEVER - you may get lucky.
Create a whole new database with the same block size, and use a 3GL program to read the oracle blocks from the new database and write them to the same location in the old database. It MIGHT be sufficient to allow you to start the database.

On the other hand, if the corrupt blocks fall outside the CACHE segment, then you may
not be able to fix it at all.

--

Jonathan Lewis

Practical Oracle 8i:  Building Efficient Databases

Publishers:                 Addison Wesley Longman
Book bound date:     8th Dec 2000
See a first review at:
http://www.ixora.com.au/resources/index.htm#practical_8i

Peter Karl Lichtenwagner wrote in message ...

>hello all.
>one of my my customers has a problem with his database (7.3.4.4.1 on NT 4
SP 6).
>after a sudden death startups thereafter signals a ora-704 and ora-600
[can't remember the parameter now]