Re: Suppress writing Redo Log Data

From: <ashish25_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 16:19:28 GMT

Hi David,

    I created a table in the beginning with unrecoverable option.Now I am trying to turn the logging on by alter table table_name logging. Still in dba_tables under logging column its showing me null.

    Its a hash partitioned table.So with unrecoverable option it implies that I will not able to recover it as no dml statements will be logged??
Thanks,
Ashish

In article <8urlvs$3s1$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   David Fitzjarrell <oratune_at_aol.com> wrote:
> In our last gripping episode insued_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Is it possible to tell Oracle *not* to write redo log information
 for
 certain
> > insert and update statements ? There is no need for the modified
 data
 to be
> > recovered after DB crash or DB shutdown, so the redo data is not
 really
> > necessary.
> >
> > I appreciate any help.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Thomas Staudenmaier
> >
> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.
> >

> Not on a statement basis. There is an option to CREATE TABLE/ALTER
> TABLE (also applies to CREATE/ALTER INDEX statements) that will
 prevent
> most redo log entries (inserts, deletes, updates) from being written
> but it is at the table/index level. INVALID blocks and dictionary
> changes (add table columns, alter column storage parameters, drop
 table
> columns [in 8i]) will still be written to the redo logs but garden
> variety DML will not.
>
> Check the Oracle documentation for more on the NOLOGGING option for
> tables and indexes.
>
> --
> David Fitzjarrell
> Oracle Certified DBA
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Nov 14 2000 - 10:19:28 CST