Re: Make RAS work and Larry will give you a million bucks - GUARANTEED

From: Bruce Chambers <bchambrs_at_micron.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 20:02:46 -0700

Greetings --

"Joseph Kramar" <j-kramar7_at_nospammers-ar.com.au> wrote in message news:01c04d7c$2e5ffd20$109412cb_at_dragon...

Snippage ....

: I tried reinstalling RAS as it suggested above (in
: Control Panel,. Network icon). Unfortunately when it
: gets to the part where it tries to detect the modem, it
: doesn't find it. It pretends it's not there.
:

Then the solution is relatively obvious: RAS cannot work if it cannot detect a modem. Reinstall the modem drivers, or replace the defective modem.

: The NT event log shows two events:
: 1) Event ID: 20032.
: Remote Access Connection Manager failed to start
: because it could not load one or more communication
: DLLs. Ensure that your communication hardware is
: installed and then restart the computer. If the problem
: persists, reinstall the Remote Access Service.

What could be clearer? Your modem is no longer working. Either replace the defective component or reinstall its drivers.

: This is 100% an Oracle problem. I've had my computer
: working fine for ages until now, and it's the installation
: of Oracle that has now screwed it up.
:

While I'm no particular fan of Oracle products, this is extremely unlikely. At most, the closest component (related to RAS) you could have installed would have been the Oracle TCP/IP drivers. Anyway, this is easy to test: simply remove the Oracle database and applications.

: NT should be detecting the modem automatically. It
: didn't need any "modem drivers" (not for NT, anyway)
: before, and I don't have any for NT anyway (only Win95).
:

Complete and utter nonsense. WinNT is not, never has been, nor ever will be a plug'n'play OS. If you've only Win95 drivers for your modem, I'm surprised that it ever worked. (Unless WinNT allowed someone to install it as the generic "Standard Modem.")

HTH&GL, Bruce Chambers

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. -- RAH

: Here is the easiest way to make a cool million....be
: the first to fix my computer that Oracle FUCKED up,
: then write to Larry to claim your million...couldn't be
: simpler.
:
: I installed Oracle 8i Enterprise 8.1.5 on my Windows
: NT. This came with "Oracle 8i for Windows NT
: Starter Kit" by Oracle Press. Following the instructions
: in that book, this installs the Oracle 8i server, Net8,
: and a starter database. So now I can use Oracle, use
: SQL*Plus, use ODBC on the same machine to talk
: to Oracle, etc. All apparently ok.
:
: Except that Dial-up Networking / Remote Access
: Services (RAS) no longer work - I can no longer dial
: out to the internet or anyone else! When double-clicking
: Dial-Up Networking, it gives
: "Cannot load the Remote Access Connection Manager
: service. Error 711: RasMan initialization failure.
: Check the event log."
:
: The NT event log shows two events:
: 1) Event ID: 20032.
: Remote Access Connection Manager failed to start
: because it could not load one or more communication
: DLLs. Ensure that your communication hardware is
: installed and then restart the computer. If the problem
: persists, reinstall the Remote Access Service.
: 2) Event ID: 7024
: The Remote Access Connection Manager service
: terminated with service-specific error 615.
:
: I've set Oracle to start manually instead of automatically,
: but it makes little difference: Dial-Up Networking won't
: work, whether or not any Oracle service is running.
:
: No, I'm not going install any "latest service pack" to
: wreck my computer further. I don't need it. ORACLE
: wrecked my computer. Now ORACLE will pay out its
: million dollars, because this is CONCRETE PROOF
: that its product is inferior to Sybase.
:
: Larry would do well to concentrate on making its only
: product - the database - work properly instead of
: worrtying about "diversifying" or searching through
: other peoples' rubbish. Oracle is not an
: e-business company. It is not an ASP company.
: It is not a "suites" or "hosting servers" company.
: It is a database company, period. Nothing more.
: Microsoft is a diversified company. Oracle is not.
: Ellison will never, EVER, be better than Bill Gates.
:
: Go on, I challenge someone to get my computer
: working again.
:
: (By the way, if I ever catch that person who was
: responsible for that animated fire alarm icon that pops
: up whenever the Oracle installer encounters a problem,
: there will be mass destruction.
: )
:
: