Re: Is Oracle is CASE SENSITIVE

From: Matthew Fuller <matthewlf_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 23:36:03 GMT

I just can't help but add to the fribble here....

This shouldn't be that hard. You can
- Take the already suggested option of another field that is entirely upper or lower-case.
- Better yet, upper or lower case all of the data on it's way in (i.e. an INSERT/UPDATE trigger) so that you always know what it looks like. - If you're customers just love having their name as Matt, check out the INITCAP() function. It will probably work fine 99% of the time.

And for the record, I think plenty of us enjoy the fact that Oracle understands that "a" is different from "A". I'd hate to think what I'd have to go through if I worked on a project that had some industryspecific  hunk of data being stored that was 20 characters long and came in all variations of upper and lower case. I'd need twenty stinking indicator columns (or some other *scheme*) to tell me what was really upper and lower case. Get real!!

<Apologies to all of those that didn't want to see this message show up again with new info, but I couldn't resist>.

Matt.

In article <MPG.146a40c792ca170f9896a5_at_news.supernews.com>,   Liz Reen <lizr_at_geologist.com> wrote:
> In article <8tbp7o$n84$1_at_soap.pipex.net>, n-litchfield_at_audit-
> commission.gov.uk says...
> >
> > It should be self evident that storing data where an a is different
 from an
> > A is more flexible and therefore more desirable system. the case
 insensitive
> > world is a subset of the case sensitive world.
> >
> Coming from the VMS world where case is preserved, but it is case
> insensitive. I do not see why you would want a SMITH to be different
> from Smith or SmItH. The "genius" who designed the commerce system
 we
> use decided to let the customers have a free form name field. I
 would
> dearly love to be able to do a case insensitive search. For the
 common
> last name of Smith, I can find Smith, smith, SMITH, and SmItH in the
> database. My customer service people have to try all possible
> combinations. If some one wishes for me to send them a package to
 Mr.
> JoE SmItH, that is fine with me. I just would like to do a search
 and
> catch all of the variations.
>
> Liz, who is stuck on 7.3.4 so please do not tell me about function

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Nov 08 2000 - 17:36:03 CST