Re: Is Oracle is CASE SENSITIVE

From: Liz Reen <lizr_at_geologist.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 17:03:00 -0500

In article <8tbp7o$n84$1_at_soap.pipex.net>, n-litchfield_at_auditcommission. gov.uk says...

> It should be self evident that storing data where an a is different from an
> A is more flexible and therefore more desirable system. the case insensitive
> world is a subset of the case sensitive world.

Coming from the VMS world where case is preserved, but it is case insensitive. I do not see why you would want a SMITH to be different from Smith or SmItH. The "genius" who designed the commerce system we use decided to let the customers have a free form name field. I would dearly love to be able to do a case insensitive search. For the common last name of Smith, I can find Smith, smith, SMITH, and SmItH in the database. My customer service people have to try all possible combinations. If some one wishes for me to send them a package to Mr. JoE SmItH, that is fine with me. I just would like to do a search and catch all of the variations.

Liz, who is stuck on 7.3.4 so please do not tell me about function indexes. Received on Wed Nov 01 2000 - 16:03:00 CST