Re: Recovery scenario

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 08:25:40 +1100

Hold on to your hat, as this isn't easy.

First clone your production database (I'm assuming that you are in archivelog mode, even if only doing cold backups. Forget everything else from this point on if not). Steps on cloning the database are on the Backup and Recovery page of my web site.

Now blow away the datafiles of the clone, and restore from the cold backup taken X days ago.

Try and start up, and the thing should say that your files need medai recovery. Recover database until cancel, and then cancel when appropriate (ie, apply just so many archives as are required to get the clone to the point your Finance Manager wants). Open with a resetlogs.

Now you can export whatever tables etc you need.

Take your new dump file back to your development type database, and import appropriate tables and data.

It's basically a TSPITR (tablespace point in time recovery). You might want to search through the Oracle documentation on TSPITR before leaping in, but it's a fairly standard way of recovering from User errors that go unreported for days or weeks on end without having to roll your entire production system days or weeks.

And when all that's done, you might want to ask your Finance Manager what the hell he wants to stuff you around like this for, and if he's going to be doing this very often, maybe a second server might be a good idea... he writes the cheques, after all. Have fun!

Regards
HJR

Opinions expressed are my own, and not those of Oracle Corporation
Oracle DBA Resources:               http://www.geocities.com/howardjr2000