Re: Error starting Enterprise Manager

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 02:38:23 +1100

You can create your table, because DDL statements require only inserts into data dictionary tables to record the birth of the new table -and since the data dictionary is stored in the SYSTEM tablespace, those inserts can (and will) use the system rollback segment when generating their 'undo' (even though, of course, you can't undo a piece of DDL, because there is an implied commit both before and after).

However, it is a fundamental rule with Oracle that non-system undo has to be stored in non-system rollback segments... so when you then try and do your inserts into the new table, the undo of those inserts has to be housed in a non-system rollback segment -and, put quite simply, it appears that you don't have one. Hence the inserts fail. And when you try and create your repository in Enterprise Manager, exactly the same thing is happening.

So, the cure: First do a select * from dba_rollback_segs, and see if you actually have created any non-System rollback segments. If any appear in that list, check their status -guaranteed they'll say 'offline' (which is what all non-system rollback segments are by default. In that case, you don't have to create any new segments, you just need to make sure the existing ones come on-line at Instance Statup (see below).

Second, if no non-system rollback segments were listed earlier, create at least one: create rollback segment blah storage (minextents 6 maxextents 100 initial xxxK next xxxK) tablespace RBS; A couple of points there: rollback segments need to be housed in their own tablespace so they are kept physically separate from tables and indexes (so you may need to create one first, in which case all the storage clause mentioned earlier can be included as part of its default storage). Second, you will hear and read a good deal of old-fashioned nonsense about rollback segments requiring 20 or so extents... not true. 6 will do nicely. Third, as with all segments, initial and next extents should always be the same size as each other.

Now, finally, whichever of the two above steps applies to you, shutdown the database, and find the init.ora that relates to this Instance. Open it up for editing, and either add a new line -or edit an old one which may be commented out- so that it reads rollback_segments=blah -in other words, list the name of your segments here to bring them on-line at startup. If you've created more than one, then the right-hand side of the equals sign is just a comma separated list of all their names ... blah0, blah1, blah2 ... and so on.

Startup your Instance once more, and try doing that insert into your new table you were trying earlier. If it works, and it should, then you know you can go back to Enterprise Manager and get on with creating those various repositories it wants.

Hope that helps,
Regards
HJR

Opinions expressed are my own, and not those of Oracle Corporation
Oracle DBA Resources:               http://www.geocities.com/howardjr2000