Re: Oracle 8i and ESMA

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 06:49:14 +0200

Increasing db_block_buffers should be based on measuring the hitrate by running ultbstat and utlestat.
Bumping up db_block_buffers indiscriminatly is not going help, it will only increase paging activities, making your loose any gain. As a general guideline the total SGA should not be bigger than about one third of physical memory, so in your case 2.3 G. More than 256k db_block_buffers (regardless of block_size and you don't specify that one) is clearly outrageous, and it is not going to help you a damn, as for the last .1 percent hitrate increase you need extraordinary amounts of memories.
I recommend measuring the hitrate first before you proceed. If it is above 95 percent, don't do anything to increase it, between 90 and 95 percent it is questionable to anything.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA