Re: why upgrade from 7.3.4 to 8.1.x???

From: Erik Cohen <cohene_at_sdc-moses.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 18:54:25 GMT

According to the Oracle product desupport matrix, the Error Correction End Date for 7.3.4 is December of this year. They will eliminate active support in December of 2003.

I contract for a gov't agency that has a policy in place that prohibits using software that is more than 2 releases old. Maybe your agency has something similar. Nothing makes bureaucrats sweat more than policy violations.

Perhaps you could set up an instance at 8.1.6 and demonstrate the performance gains.

The arguments you have in your favor are far from specious and could potentially save time and money. Staying at the older release could be wasting our tax dollars.