Re: Disksuite vs. Veritas Volume Manager

From: Don't Bother <davidknollhoff_at_netscape.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 16:45:11 GMT

I've setup customers using both and the only advantage Veritas has is if you purchase the option to auto extend "Veritas File Systems VFS). This is a big cost and provides no performance increase.

Disksuite comes with Solaris and Veritas doesn't. I would suggest that you make Disksuite your standard and offer Veritas as an add on. Veritas is fast becoming the standard where as Disksuite is not.

David Knollhoff

In article <39EEE29E.6215_at_yahoo.com>,
  connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> Ervine & Henry Fox wrote:
> >
> > Solaris 2.6
> > Oracle 8.1.6
> >
> > Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of using DiskSuite vs. Veritas
 Volume
> > Manager for setting up filesystems for an Oracle database?
> >
> > We are working with a third party application vendor who has
 basically
> > written a "middleware" software as an interface between the client
 software
> > (also theirs) and the Oracle database. The middleware software and
 Oracle
> > sit on the same server. The database will be written to every hour
> > (inserts), no updates (this would skew data), and deletes during
 maintenance
> > at night. This is of course in the perfect plan. The supported
 databases
> > will run anywhere 15GB to 800GB with growth expected every year.
 The number
> > of users will also vary and will be random as reports are needed to
 run.

> > I know that Veritas is more robust and I like it better than
 DiskSuite.

--
Cry on someones elses shoulder

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/