Re: DiskSuite vs. Veritas Volume Manager

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 20:01:34 +0800

Ervine & Henry Fox wrote:

> Solaris 2.6
> Oracle 8.1.6
>
> Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of using DiskSuite vs. Veritas Volume
> Manager for setting up filesystems for an Oracle database?
>
> We are working with a third party application vendor who has basically
> written a "middleware" software as an interface between the client software
> (also theirs) and the Oracle database. The middleware software and Oracle
> sit on the same server. The database will be written to every hour
> (inserts), no updates (this would skew data), and deletes during maintenance
> at night. This is of course in the perfect plan. The supported databases
> will run anywhere 15GB to 800GB with growth expected every year. The number
> of users will also vary and will be random as reports are needed to run.
>
> I know that Veritas is more robust and I like it better than DiskSuite.
> However, not all of our customers can purchase Veritas. Is there a "line
> that shouldn't be crossed" between the two? I would hate to set up a site
> on DiskSuite and then find out they should have used Veritas to begin with?
> At the same time, I would like to be able to tell a customer if they can get
> by with using DiskSuite?
>
> If there is documentation that explains the differences between the two, I'd
> appreciate that info as well. Thanks for any and all responses.
>
> Fox

Last time I used ODS it was limited to using the normal partition maps ie 8 per disk, which was one reason we opted for veritas. A interesting hybrid I've seen at sites is ODS for the "key" file systems (root, var etc ), and veritas for the rest. In this way, if your system gets itself into a major twist, the main file systems are still in stock standard file system format and can be booted without the need of either ODS or veritas.

HTH

Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk (mirrored at
http://www.oradba.freeserve.co.uk)

"Early to bed and early to rise,
 makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise." - some dead guy