Re: How can I run multiply instances in Oracle at the same time?

From: Reinier <Reinier_Dickhout_at_hetnet.nl>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 08:27:21 +0200

Maybe there is a little confusion about terminology here. If I read yor post correctly you want two instances on one machine. Or you can say two different databases. A database is ususally consider to be the total of datafiles, control files etc.. (I'm not saying this is right however, not saying it's wrong either, just can't think of a good way to describe it myself) whereas an instance is usually consider to be the up and running version of a database (you bring the database down, when down still a database, but you connect to an idle instance when your database is down... still with me?)

Anyway, you want two sets of datafiles, control-file etc.. so two physical different databases. Also two initSID.ora files to startup two different instances but you want to use one RDBMS. This is absolutely no problem.

Reinier.