Re: oracle 8i portable???

From: <swe99_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 21:22:45 GMT

  We're interested in eventually incorporating a database synchronization mechanism (so that each database will have any changes the others have made). Our requirement to have a non-centralized database is to ensure all other running computers will have update to date data if any one of the other computers experience a misfortune. Still interested in knowing if Oracle has a database engine written in Java. Thanks!

In article <39EEF60D.57F574_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>,   Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov> wrote:
> I understand that you want your application to run anywhere. After
 all,
> that's the beauty of Java! But why do you want the database to run all
> over the place as well? Normally, the database is stored in one
 location
> so that every application user can have access to the shared data. If
> the database moves with the application, then users can't share the
> data. User A updates only his copy of the data and User B will never
 see
> the updates. This may be exactly what you are looking for, but it is
> much more rare then a centrally located database.
>
> HTH,
> Brian
>
> swe99_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> >
> > Hi Brian,
> > I'm writing a java application (using a database) so it can be
 run on
> > several different machines/OS's with minimal installation,
 therefore I
> > would like to include the database engine in the jar. The first
> > version will be standalone (not networked, that's later). I'm
> > currently using Pointbase 100% pure java database, but heard that
> > Oracle 8i may be an option to look at...
> >
> > In article <39EDCE1A.8AF26148_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>,
> > Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov> wrote:
> > > Bruce,
> > >
> > > No, the Oracle database engine is not written in java. It is
 written
 in
> > > C. Java is simply too slow for writing a database engine.
> > >
> > > Why are you trying to run a database in any location? What are
 your
> > > requirements?
> > >
> > > HTH,
> > > Brian

 Oracle
 Bruce.

> > > --
> > > ========================================
> > > Brian Peasland
> > > Raytheons Systems at
> > > USGS EROS Data Center
> > > These opinions are my own and do not
> > > necessarily reflect the opinions of my
> > > company!
> > > ========================================
> > >

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.
>
> --
> Brian Peasland
> Raytheons Systems at
> USGS EROS Data Center
> These opinions are my own and do not
> necessarily reflect the opinions of my
> company!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Oct 19 2000 - 16:22:45 CDT