Re: oracle 8i portable???

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 13:24:29 GMT

I understand that you want your application to run anywhere. After all, that's the beauty of Java! But why do you want the database to run all over the place as well? Normally, the database is stored in one location so that every application user can have access to the shared data. If the database moves with the application, then users can't share the data. User A updates only his copy of the data and User B will never see the updates. This may be exactly what you are looking for, but it is much more rare then a centrally located database.

HTH,
Brian

swe99_at_my-deja.com wrote:

> Hi Brian,
> I'm writing a java application (using a database) so it can be run on
> several different machines/OS's with minimal installation, therefore I
> would like to include the database engine in the jar. The first
> version will be standalone (not networked, that's later). I'm
> currently using Pointbase 100% pure java database, but heard that
> Oracle 8i may be an option to look at...
>
> In article <39EDCE1A.8AF26148_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>,
> Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov> wrote:
> > Bruce,
> >
> > No, the Oracle database engine is not written in java. It is written
 in
> > C. Java is simply too slow for writing a database engine.
> >
> > Why are you trying to run a database in any location? What are your
> > requirements?
> >
> > HTH,
> > Brian
> >
> > swe99_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello,
> > > I'm writing java applications and looking for a database which
 can be
> > > jar-ed and therefore runned whereever. Does anyone know if the
 Oracle