Re: I have a job with Oracle and SQL, what do i need to do?

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 10:26:33 +0100

Hi

I too have some sympathy with the original posters message, especially as they at no time stated that they would be even a DBA let alone the full charge DBA which the repsondents seem to assume. Never the less the line most suggest is reasonable. First set yourself to learning SQL/PLSQL. Then have a look at the learning tracks on education.oracle.com. They will give you a good idea of what areas to study next, depending on your career path.

I do however agree with the original respondents in this. Any company that hires someone with no relevant experience as a full charge DBA, especially in a 24/7 environment with huge scalability issues like the web, is a company to be avoided like the plague. If they don't have a clue about hiring the right staff they are almost certainly not long for this world.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA