Re: database creation is slow w/ 8.1.6 & Linux

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 21:40:16 +0200

If you are using the dbassist, it will of course do everything in one shot, which means:
creating hundreds of views, grants, synonyms and packages. This is definitely not going to complete in a few minutes. Also the create database itself is not going to complete in a few minutes as all the files are zeroed out, not just created.
And, finally, most likely you are running with the default Oracle parameters. And yes, especially if you don't need Java, they are wrong: db_block_buffers to small, shared_pool_size to small, java_pool_size too big (20M). You're probably looking at excessive paging, don't you.

Just a few hints, as your post doesn't contain any conclusive clues, regrettably.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA