database creation is slow w/ 8.1.6 & Linux

From: Steven L. Dahlin <sdahlin_at_micron.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 08:11:47 -0600

I am having a problem with the database creation with Oracle 8.1.6 on a RedHat Linux 6.2 box. The process is running slow, I mean REALLY slow. In fact I kill the process before it finishes. This is the case whether

I use dbassist or run the script it can creat. I was thinking one of the kernel parameters might be too low, or that running X and dbassist on the same box might put a strain on resources, but I cannot imagine things could be this slow.

The box is a 240 Mhz K6 with 128Mb of Ram. The kernel parameters are as

follows:

SHMMAX 0x8000000 (though I am considering dropping it to 0x4000000) SHMMIN 1
SHMMNI 100
SHMSEG 10 SEMMNI 128
SEMMSL 250
SEMMNS (SEMMNI*SEMMSL)
SEMOPM 100
SEMVMX 32767 Does anyone have any suggestions (yes I know the box is a little slow but it is all I can devote to the task right now)? The strange thing is

that when I had this setup with Oracle 8.0.5 on Redhat 6.0 I had no such

problems.

Thanks,
Steve Received on Sun Oct 15 2000 - 09:11:47 CDT