Oracle or Sybase.

From: Rowan McCammon <rowan.mccammon_at_macquarie.com.au>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 10:28:17 +1100

Hi All,

I'm not trying to start a war here but rather am hoping that some people in this group have worked with both Oracle and Sybase and therefore can help us out with a tough decision.

Situation is we're tossing up whether to go Oracle or Sybase. Ideally we'd like to go with Oracle but licensing cost of Oracle is prohibitive compared with Sybase as company has site license.

So there would have to be some compelling technical reason to go in favour of Oracle.

The application is a OLTP system with a user base of about 300-500 users (not concurrent).

The DB contains a BLOB.

The total size of the DB is expected to be initally about 20GB and is expected to grow 20GB annually.

The business would like high availability.

Based on these broad requirements can anyone see any problems/risks going with Sybase?

Any comments welcome. Received on Tue Oct 10 2000 - 18:28:17 CDT