Re: Oracle or Sybase.

From: FGuelfucci <guelfucci_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 07:27:44 GMT

We design in VC++ for Sybase and Oracle and there isn't any great difference when it comes to coding, for this reason I would think that Sybase is fine.
On the other hand Sybase will not handle the size of the DB nearly as well as Oracle unless you have a near perfect architecture. This is something you need to take into account if you really expect to grow at 20GB a year.
Personally I would go for Oracle as it is more 'stable' and is likely to be around for a while longer than Sybase.

Florent Guelfucci
Software Engineer

In article <8s08iu$kbg$1_at_isdserv3.macbank>,   "Rowan McCammon" <rowan.mccammon_at_macquarie.com.au> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm not trying to start a war here but rather am hoping that some
 people in
> this group have worked with both Oracle and Sybase and therefore can
 help us
> out with a tough decision.
>
> Situation is we're tossing up whether to go Oracle or Sybase. Ideally
 we'd
> like to go with Oracle but licensing cost of Oracle is prohibitive
 compared
> with Sybase as company has site license.
>
> So there would have to be some compelling technical reason to go in
 favour
> of Oracle.
>
> The application is a OLTP system with a user base of about 300-500
 users
> (not concurrent).
>
> The DB contains a BLOB.
>
> The total size of the DB is expected to be initally about 20GB and is
> expected to grow 20GB annually.
>
> The business would like high availability.
>
> Based on these broad requirements can anyone see any problems/risks
 going
> with Sybase?
>
> Any comments welcome.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Oct 11 2000 - 02:27:44 CDT