Re: Index statistics causing query performance problems

From: Steven Hauser <hause011_at_garnet.tc.umn.edu>
Date: 4 Oct 2000 21:50:02 -0500

Well without example SQL and lacking indexes how can we help? We can blind guess that your indexes are badly designed.

B-tree type indexes work best when the attribute with is well distributed over a large domain (lots of values, not many repeats). If it is a multi-attribute index the "best" attribute should be first in the index definition.

Bitmap indexes work best when there is a small domain, skewed distribution and you are looking for a value that is rare. (few values like yes,no, maybe with one million yes, one million no and 5 maybe, look for maybe).

At http://www.sofbot.com/ I have an index screening script, check_index, to screen a schema for crippled b-tree first attributes. I will publish another script soon that gives attribute order, number of values for an index.

There are also star schema hints, if what you are doing is datawarehouse stuff.

Steven Hauser email: hause011@tc.umn.edu URL: http://www.tc.umn.edu/~hause011