Re: Index statistics causing query performance problems

From: Frank <frankbo_at_interaccess.nl>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 10:44:39 +0200

Inline

--
Frank
Kathy Worrad <worrad.kathy.kc_at_bhp.com.au> schreef in berichtnieuws
8rgic4$nhs$1_at_gossamer.itmel.bhp.com.au...

> Thanks Sybrand
>
> I would assume that the full table scans are bad, because whern query
> performance is poor, the plans use many of these, and when query
performance
> is good, we have fewer of them and more index scans.
Makes sense, then. But Sybrand has a valid point - I have to demonstrate all the time that in fact fts can be more efective than irs. It baffles developers again and again (and I enjoy that...)
> With regard to hints, we are currently using these on individual queries
> keep our applications going. I am hoping for a solution at a lower level.
> consider these hints to be patches while we are finding a better solution.
Hints are not patches - it's a way to drive the optimizer (the optimizer is not omnipotent, and not always right) <snip> Firstly, we upgraded from Oracle 7
> to Oracle 8.06.
Did you alter init.ora settings after the upgrade? 8 needs more memory than 7! I remember a graph, stating memory requirements almost double from 7 to 8 (and once again from 8.0 to 8i...) <snip>