Re: Measuring index usage

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 09:05:06 +0100

Two problems with that:

First - the supplier will probably say you must not change the indexing.

Second - the supplier MIGHT let you drop an index, and not be aware that one of their developers has written a piece of SQL that (illegally) assumes that the data will return in a given order that happens to be dependent on a specific index.

You need nerves of steel, a fine-tooth comb, and a good text-analysis tool before taking the risk. (Or an exceptionally good supplier).

--

Jonathan Lewis