Re: Measuring index usage

From: Jantah <jantah_at_hot.mail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 22:47:31 +0200

On Mon, 25 Sep 2000 19:20:23 GMT, oratune_at_aol.com wrote:

>Since you mention a supplier and a set of access programs you are
>likely treading on thin ice wanting to eliminate "unused" indexes. In
>many cases modification of the underlying database structure is grounds
>for warranty and support agreement invalidation. Without specific
>written consent from the supplier/software vendor you could eliminate
>any and all support for the application suite, whether or not you are
>using all of the supplied programs.

Don't worry, I'll consult the supplier about _every_ change, either before or after changing anything. If they don't approve, I won't change anything, or revert the changes I made (and let _them_ handle the angry users ;-).

I can't, however, see them having problems with clients supplying improvements. Everybody wins.

>The indexing from the software vendor reflects the vendor's choice
>based upon the overall query set used to access the data. That you are
>not using all of the supplied programs does not give you carte blanche
>to change indexing at will. I wouldn't touch the configuration if I
>were you.

That sounds a bit like The Perfect Supplier. In our case, the indexes reflect the query set used on another rdbms by another program (I wouldn't be inclided to use the term 'suite' here) a couple of years ago.
Well, that's a bit exaggerated, but still true in places.

Jan

--
Jan

jantah_at_hot.mail.com
...and you know what to do with "hot.mail", right?