Re: Lost rollback segment datafile, database will not start

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 09:22:59 +1000

Comments below...

Opinions expressed are my own, and not those of Oracle Corporation
Oracle DBA Resources:               http://www.geocities.com/howardjr2000

"nomenclature" <nom_at_tonal.net> wrote in message

> "Howard J. Rogers" wrote:
> >
> > If he's in nomount stage, he won't be able to drop the tablespace. You
can
> > only talk tablespace language when you're fully open (Hence, if he
follows
> > your advice, he'll get an ORA-01109 error). And how on earth is he
supposed
> > to create a new tablespace in the nomount stage?? If he tries it, he'll
get
> > another ORA-01109. And it won't work in mount stage, either.
>
> Fine - I asked to be corrected, like I said I've
> done this before - if I'd been going slower I'd
> have said mounted but not open. Who crapped in
> your lunch today?

You don't get it, do you? Your proposed solution will not work in either the nomount or mount stages. To claim that you have 'done this before' is therefore an example of being economical with the truth, because you can't possibly have done it the way you suggested. You can *only* drop or recreate tablespaces in the fully open stage -and since his problem is that he can't *get* to the open stage, your advice was somewhat less than useless.

> > If you're going to offer advice, I think you need to do a minimum amount
of
> > checking that it is not total nonsense. Yours, in this case,
unfortunately
> > is. Particularly as it seems you have no idea of the difference between
> > mount and nomount stages.
>

> Arrogant tosser - try to help someone and a total
> stranger tosses insults. The key point I made was
> correct - he has to drop the tablespace. Thus you
> are simply wrong - it is not 'total nonsense'

Yes, he may have to drop his tablespace. Full marks for pointing out the obvious. Now, about that 'trying to help someone' -care to offer him advice as to *how* he can drop his tablespace?? Apparently not. Not advice that is actually follow-able, anyway.
> You rightly mention backups and archivelogs which
> I didn't so hats off to you, but get an attitude
> lesson. Kids these days...

I'm probably old enough to be your elder brother, so it's not a question of attitude or arrogance. This forum is for offering help and advice. The least you can do is to make sure that that which you proffer is not full of contradictions, basic errors and mis-directions. HJR