Re: Is there an other way than SQL*Net ?

From: Erwin Dondorp <erwin_at_dondorp.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 00:17:44 +0200

Philippe CEROU wrote:
> My question is simple, I want to acces an Oracle 7.3.4 Database which is
> running on an AIX 4.2.1 with a client which is mounted under WINDOWS 95.
> Is there another way to connect the database, by setting up the server and
> the client, to use something else than SQL*Net ?

  1. Use the "JDBC Thin client-side driver". This is a Java library which does all the SQL*Net stuff for you. No need to install a separate SQL*Net client. You'll need to configure it just like SQL*Net though, and your application needs to be (partly) in Java.
  2. Build a server program that runs on the database machine and talks an application specific protocol with your client software. The server program can use 'direct' connections to the database since it is running on the same machine.
  3. Remove the reason why you dislike SQL*Net Why don't you want to use it, btw?

Erwin Received on Mon Sep 18 2000 - 17:17:44 CDT