Re: Cannot install Oracle 8.1.6 (8i R2) on NT Workstation

From: Chris S <cschofie_at_nospam.home.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 05:57:30 GMT

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I added memory (64->128 Meg). I shut down everything (norton, personal web server, etc). I created a 'classpath' entry of ';'. I'm logged on as administrator, and I'm installing to d:\ora8i (separate oracle home exists as d:\oradev, for developer 6). I'm accepting all defaults on install (typical server database). I also deleted c:\program files\oracle\*.* (another suggestion read), verified color settings on display. Net effect of all this was that it would get to 23%, rather than 17%.

Finally, I followed advice read in another post - chose custom, and only installed a few pieces at a time. Very tedious, esp. since the installer wants to default to all uninstalled items each time. Took about 5 passes, but it finally worked! (better than 5 failures, anyway).

I called Oracle support, and they basically told me 'the new (java) universal installer is a hog - anything less than 256 Meg is going to be a problem'. Imagine - the installer is more of a hog than the product.

Thanks again... Chris

On Tue, 5 Sep 2000 14:15:21 GMT, Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov> wrote:

>Chris,
>
> I had similar problems and found the the error was caused by an
>incorrect CLASSPATH setting. If this is truly a brand new machine, then
>you need to make sure that the CLASSPATH setting is semi-cleared out.
>Right click on My Computer and choose Properties. Then click on the
>Environment tab. Make sure the the CLASSPATH environment variable is set
>to ';' and nothing else. I've had similar problems with other settings
>or deleting the CLASSPATH variable.
>
>HTH,
>Brian
>

>Chris S wrote:
>>
>> I have done a couple of upgrades to 8.0.5 and 8.1.5 databases, but
>> today for the first time I tried to install 8.1.6 (aka 8i release 2)
>> on a 'virgin' NT workstation machine. I took all the 'typical'
>> options. The install chugs along for a good hour, then simply 'exits'
>> - disappears from the screen entirely. No error messages.
>>
>> I repeated the exercise (twice!), and watched more closely. It seems
>> to fail consistently during or after copying file vtc.jar. The
>> progress bar reaches 17%, and it seems to be copying that file for an
>> age, then the installer simply exits.
>>
>> I looked at the log file (c:\program
>> files\oracle\inventory\logs\install activities.log) and there is no
>> obvious indication. There is no mention of vtc.jar in this log -
>> maybe because it didn't complete?
>>
>> There's over a gig free on C, and over 4 gig on D (where I'm
>> installing the database to).
>>
>> NT 4 SP5. First time I tried, no other Oracle products installed.
>> Last time I tried it, it was after installing developer 6i. No
>> difference.
>>
>> Thanks, Chris
>> Remove 'nospam' from email to reply - Thanks

Remove 'nospam' from email to reply - Thanks Received on Wed Sep 06 2000 - 00:57:30 CDT