Re: Cannot install Oracle 8.1.6 (8i R2) on NT Workstation

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 14:15:21 GMT

Chris,

 I had similar problems and found the the error was caused by an incorrect CLASSPATH setting. If this is truly a brand new machine, then you need to make sure that the CLASSPATH setting is semi-cleared out. Right click on My Computer and choose Properties. Then click on the Environment tab. Make sure the the CLASSPATH environment variable is set to ';' and nothing else. I've had similar problems with other settings or deleting the CLASSPATH variable.

HTH,
Brian

Chris S wrote:

> I have done a couple of upgrades to 8.0.5 and 8.1.5 databases, but
> today for the first time I tried to install 8.1.6 (aka 8i release 2)
> on a 'virgin' NT workstation machine. I took all the 'typical'
> options. The install chugs along for a good hour, then simply 'exits'
> - disappears from the screen entirely. No error messages.
>
> I repeated the exercise (twice!), and watched more closely. It seems
> to fail consistently during or after copying file vtc.jar. The
> progress bar reaches 17%, and it seems to be copying that file for an
> age, then the installer simply exits.
>
> I looked at the log file (c:\program
> files\oracle\inventory\logs\install activities.log) and there is no
> obvious indication. There is no mention of vtc.jar in this log -
> maybe because it didn't complete?
>
> There's over a gig free on C, and over 4 gig on D (where I'm
> installing the database to).
>
> NT 4 SP5. First time I tried, no other Oracle products installed.
> Last time I tried it, it was after installing developer 6i. No
> difference.
>
> Thanks, Chris
> Remove 'nospam' from email to reply - Thanks

Brian Peasland
Raytheons Systems at
  USGS EROS Data Center
These opinions are my own and do not