Physical Database Layouts

From: Troy Simpson <Troy_Simpson_at_ncsu.edu>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 19:26:41 -0400

I am working on installing Oracle 8.1.6 on a Sun Solaris System and need some advise on the Physical Database Layout.

I am following the Optimal Flexible Architecture ( OFA ) as best as I can and as well as I understand it.
So far I have seen two layouts. The first layout creates a directory of each phyiscal disk and mirrors the directory structure on each disk. The files are not mirrored, just the directory structure. For example:
/disk1/oradata/...
/disk2/oradata/...
/disk3/oradata/...
/disk4/oradata/...

  1. The Oracle Software and config files may be located on
    /disk1/admin/<sid>/...,
    /disk1/<orahome>/...,
    /disk1/oradata/<sid>/...
  2. The System tablespace and a control file may be located on disk2.
    /disk2/oradata/<sid>/system01.dbf
    /disk2/oradata/<sid>/control01.ctl.
  3. The RBS, TEMP, and TOOLS tablespaces and a control file may be located on /disk3.
    /disk3/oradata/<sid>/RBS01.dbf
    /disk3/oradata/<sid>/TEMP.dbf
    /disk3/oradata/<sid>/TOOLS.dbf
    /disk3/oradata/<sid>/control02.ctl
    etc.

The second layout mounts disks under the main directory while maintaining one directory structure.
For example:
/Oracle/<orahome>/... ( disk1 mounted here )

/Oracle/admin/<sid>/disk2/... ( disk2 mounted here )

/Oracle/oradata/<sid>/disk3/archive/... ( disk3 mounted here )

/Oracle/oradata/<sid>/disk4/... ( disk4 mounted here )
/Oracle/oradata/<sid>/disk4/Temp/...
/Oracle/oradata/<sid>/disk4/RBS/...
/Oracle/oradata<sid>/disk4/TOOLS/...

etc. or something like this.

Please advise me of the most appropriate solution. Right not we are limited to 4 to 7 physical disk and trying to get more. At the start our database environment will be small but will grow.

Sincerely,
Troy

--
Troy Simpson | North Carolina State University
NCSU Libraries | Campus Box 7111 | Raleigh | North Carolina